U.S. Treasury Holdings Series Filter
- Filtering data is an important task of any visualization with the aim of presenting evidence with the smallest amount of 'digital ink'.
- This note illustrates several techniques to identify interesting series in the U.S. debt foreign portfolio holdings reported by the U.S. Treasury Department.
- The techniques rely on basic statistical and analytical functions to reduce visual clutter and to spot outliers.
- Top-N countries by U.S. debt holdings
- Countries with substantially decreasing holdings.
- Countries with substantially increasing holdings.
displaysetting to hide the series both from the chart and the legend.
[series] # Show only top-10 countries by last reported portfolio size display = value >= top(10)
[series] # Hide countries (both in charts and legend) with maximum holdings during the 10 year period of less than $10B display = max('10 year') > 10000
enabledsetting to hide the series in the chart while allowing the user to manually show the series by clicking on its legend.
[series] # Show countries with greater than $100B current holdings and with 50%+ increase over the 10-year interval enabled = value > 100000 && last('10 year') / first('10 year') > 1.5